Thursday, April 10, 2008

Cover of the Week: Nelly Furtado "Crazy"


You know what? I never really got all the hoopla over "Crazy."

Sure, it was a pretty good song for the first few listens. And it was pretty different. But different doesn't always make a great record. In any case, I had heard better.

Then it was played. And played again. The summer of 2005 was all about "Crazy."

Argh.

I'm telling you this because I wanted you to know why I appreciate Nelly Furtado's breathy acoustic rendition of the Gnarls Barkley song, which was recorded for BBC 1's "Live Lounge" in May 2006. The fact that she was able to take a song I had grown to despise – and redefine it to the point of making it likable again. Hell, that's talent for you.

Furtado has since officially released this as a B-side, which says even more about this Canadian vocalist's taste.

Play "Crazy" by Nelly Furtado.

Here's a video of Furtado playing the song live. I don't think it quite captures the intimacy of the original recording, but it still works for me.

No comments: