Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Cover of the Week – "Wild Horses" by Alicia Keys and Adam Levine

This song, from Keys Unplugged (2005) album, represented an important epiphany for me.

Yes, the Rolling Stones are an incredible band. And yes, they wrote some beautiful songs. But for some reason, I never got into them – the way I did the Beatles, the Who, Jimi Hendrix and Cream.

But while listening to this song, and wrapping my ears around its beauty, I was startled by this realization: The whole reason I never became a Stones fan was because of Mick Jagger's voice.

Now, I realize this is heresy in some circles. And I do respect everyone who can't get enough of Mick singing. But for me, it's a matter of personal preference. Everybody has those two or three singers that, despite their abilities, just hit them wrong. (Yes, I'm looking at you Michael Bolton) For me, Mick is one of them.

I'm wondering if anyone feels the same way. Because listening to Alicia and Adam croon this Richards/Jagger masterpiece has made me fall in love with this song in a new way. I'll admit I'm a big fan of Keys. And Levine (who some have said looks like my little brother) has some nice pipes for a pop singer. But for me, the biggest reason that this works is that it's a great song – and Mick's not singing it.

Play Wild Horses by Alicia Keys and Adam Levine

Here's the video



So... I throw it open to you guys. Any singers that you should like but just can't because of a personal quirk? Dylan? Janis Joplin? Bruce?

No comments: